Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Day Nail Challenge - Day 20

Day 20

Today is water-marbling day! I was really looking forward to this....but kind of nervous at the same time. My one and only attempt at water-marbling so far did not yield very satisfactory results!
Also what has stopped me from trying water-marbling since, is just the amount of time it takes to do. Even today I under-estimated the time and I ended up having to go to work with only one water-marbled hand. Meh I made it cool.

A picture of my first ever attempt, pretty bad, right?


Firstly I used Sea Spray as my base coat. It's a very light blue filled with grey tones. I think this is where I went wrong with my first attempt - I just tried to water-marble on bare nails.


After taking this picture, I sellotaped around my nails to help protect the skin form getting covered in polish.
Then I used Catrice I Sea You, OPI Cuckoo For This Colour and China Glaze First Mate for the actual water-marbling.

  • I put drop of I Sea You into the bowl of water, then a drop of CFTC within that first drop (which had dispersed out into a ring) then a drop of First Mate and then started the cycle again. All in all I used 3 drops of each colour. 
  • Then I lightly dragged a toothpick through the water to help create a pattern. 
  • And then I dipped my nail into the water, in the middle of the pattern.
  • I found that I could use 2 nails per each concoction of varnish before having to clear the water and start over.

And this is how it turned out! So so much better than my first attempt! The sellotape worked quite well around my nails, these pictures are pre-cleanup just to show how much the sellotape really does work in protecting the skin around your nails.




 I dipped my little finger in way too far and ended up with the design there as well!

 The Aftermath
I love how the sellotape looks!

Have you tried water-marbling? What do you think of it?

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...