Monday, January 31, 2011

January Favourites

This is my first monthly favourites blog post and I think that it's something I will do every month as it is one of my favourite type of posts on other peoples blogs as it gives me ideas about new things I want to try (it's not always good for the purse though lol!)

I can't believe that January is over already, it has absolutely flown!

My favourites for the month are mostly beauty related with the odd random item thrown in for good measure :)

Foldable Shoes

These were an absolute lifesaver over Christmas/New Years. I had seen flimsy, rollable pumps for sale a few times in the shops but I never bothered getting them. I saw these ones in Dunnes Stores a few weeks before Christmas for €10.
They have a really thick sole that is cut halfway in the middle allowing them to fold. They are black with a satiny finish and even have pretty little gems on the front of the toe! I wouldn't have cared if they were just plain but the little gems give it that little bit extra. I didn't see them in any other colours other than black.They also come in a pouch for easy storage in your handbag.


                                                                      The shoe

                                                        Close up of the gems/stones 


                                                                   The shoe folded


The shoes in their little pouch
On the package it says that they are not suitable for everyday wear, which is fair enough but they are incredibly comfortable, surprisingly. The sides of them are ruched so when you put your feet into them they just envelope your feet keeping them secure. The only thing I did notice was one that of the nights  I was wearing tights and they were slipping off my feet a bit but still a hell of a lot more comfortable than my heels had been.
I saw them in 3 sizes - Small, Medium and Large. As they have ruched sides, there is a size that will fit everyone albeit maybe not perfectly.
A huge bonus was the strong rubber sole. It protects well against broken glass etc. as well as the wet Irish weather lol!
For €10 they'll get you from the club to the chipper and the taxi rank and after a long night in high heels there is nothing like sinking your feet into a cosy pair of flats!
What sealed it for me was that they are foldable and not bulky like a normal pair of pumps so they are a lot more discreet in your handbag and will fit into most small handbags
I was in Dunnes during the week and I saw a few knocking around, so if you spy a pair definitely pick them up, your feet will thank you!


Urban Decay Primer Potion



There's not a lot that I can say about this that I didn't mention in my recent post about it. I still love it! It still works, I'm so glad I got it and I suspect that it will be a firm favourite for months and months! And I haven't forgotten about the comparison pictures I said I'd take, with and without the primer potion.

Victor and Rolf Flowerbomb Perfume



I tend to stick with the one perfume, I don't like changing fragrances too often. Generally I have a heavier one for autumn/winter and a lighter one for spring/summer and a day and night one. I wouldn't change fragrances every week or every day. For years my staple perfume has been Flower by Kenzo. I love it. I got so many compliments on it and the smell of it just makes me so happy.
When I ran out of my last bottle of it, I had a stack of perfumes from birthday/christmas presents that I had accumulated over the years and just wanted to use up. So I've been working through those all year(2010!) and for christmas I was going to ask for a new bottle of Kenzo. But then I discovered Flowerbomb. I swear, I sprayed it on one of the testing strips in the pharmacy, brought it home and just smelt it the entire evening!
So I got that for Christmas instead of my beloved Kenzo and I've worn it every day since. It is obviously a floral scent, quite fresh but it also has a slightly sweet scent, but not overpoweringly so and it's funny I feel that I can wear it a/w and s/s as well as day and night. It really works on all levels, which is fantastic.

Cuticle Care 

This month I've been trying really hard to improve my nails and the big thing for me has been my cuticles. I hate them, and I want to improve them. I've been using Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream at night and sometimes during the day. At night I rub a generous amount into my cuticles, lather on a pile of thick hand cream and put on a pair of those white cotton moisturising gloves. As well as softening my cuticles, it has really strengthened my actual nails which I was not expecting. The only thing that I did not like about this was the scent. I like lemons but the smell of this is quite strong and if it wasn't as good as it was, I would be reluctant to use it. So if you can't handle strong smells, this may not be the best cuticle cream for you.


Burt's Bees Cuticle Cream


I bought Sally Hansen Gel Cuticle Remover a couple of weeks ago. I've used it about 4 times so far,  before I do my night time hand cream regime and I definitely think it's working.
Sally Hansen Gel Cuticle Remover


Bring on the beautiful nails!

Lemon and Ginger Tea

I love herbal teas. I discovered this particular one just before Christmas and it is one of the tastiest herbal teas I've drank.  There is such a zing from it with the ginger, freshness with the lemon and just an overall boost from it. If you're sick of the fruitiness of some teas and fed up of the blandness of green tea, this one is nice neutral ground.

That's my favourites for this month, I think I might include my favourite herbal tea of the month in every month's favourite post:)

What has been your favourites for the month of January?

2 comments:

  1. I love the Burt's Bees Cuticle Balm too, it's gorgeous, and it smells great :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...